Monday, June 19, 2006

After SFSC

This is an update to let interested readers hear about my visit to Sci Fi Summer Con in Atlanta, my first experience as a “celebrity guest” and my first con with my kids in tow. Son liked it; daughter sat with her iPod and a book and was no trouble. Chris Jones, the con director, was everywhere, wearing a lot of hats, and leading the “Trek at 40” panel, which was a good one.

First, I really did enjoy meeting a few members of the Atlanta Science Fiction Society. They held an event called SF Jeopardy, and that was fun. Okay, I came in last place, partially due to a complete lack of knowledge of comic book anything, but it was still fun, and I did get a consolation prize.

Second, having met authors in various other genres at the writers’ conference in Athens, I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly the other authors at the con were. I spent some time last evening looking at websites belonging to those authors and in some cases, their blogs. Jana Oliver, Christina Barber, Chesya Burke, and Julie Cochrane are all fellow novelists who write speculative fiction, and although our sub genres differ a bit, I found chatting with them to be particularly helpful.

Third, I liked the free stuff, as did hubby. Flyers, brochures, and bookmarks are expected, of course, but we also got some movie posters and other memorabilia. My son really enjoyed the arcade room, with vintage video games set on “free play” for the entire weekend, and he proved that “a fool and his money are soon parted” in the dealer room on the very first day.

Finally, as a longtime Star Trek fan, I enjoyed Michael DeMerritt most of all. He was personable, knowledgeable, and really entertaining. As an assistant director on Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise, he knew lots of inside information, which he shared with the attendees, along with many photos made during production. I just wish I’d managed to attend every panel he did, but I was unable to do so.

I did not dress up in any costume, because I don’t own one, and if I did it would probably have been too hot. I did see some interesting costumes, however. I genuinely enjoyed being across from the Klingons during my time at the autograph table. They offered me dried veggies and were great folks, for Klingons....

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Jul 2, 2006, 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Chesya said...

Hi Pam,

It was great meeting you. Drop me a line anytime.

 
At Jul 2, 2006, 9:22:00 PM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Hello Chesya,

I was glad to meet you at SFSC.

I'll be in touch. Thanks for stopping by!

Pam

 

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home