Saturday, May 05, 2007

Year Three

Have you noticed that people either go through life looking through the windshield, i.e. looking forward, or in the rear-view mirror, i.e. looking backward? One of my close relatives seems to have her eyes fixed upon that rear view, evidenced by her constantly talking about people I haven’t seen or heard from in thirty years. I find that somewhat irritating, so let me say that I won’t be looking backward at my blog. For that, just see the archives.

Looking forward, I know that I’ll be a guest at Sci Fi Summer Con, and that Chris Barber will be joining me for a promising panel topic, “How to Torment Your Characters” which should be entertaining for the audience and for us. I’ve been told that Living Jackson magazine has placed Trinity on Tylos on their book review calendar for later this year, and I hope that spurs some sales for local vendors who stock it.

I’m hoping that my career as adjunct instructor of English will continue, since I am enjoying that. One goal for 2007 is to brush up another manuscript or two and send out some queries. Sales of my current offerings have been slow, so I don’t feel much pressure to get something “out there.” My publisher has only a two year contract on Trinity on Tylos, so that book may be out of print by next February.

Our children are growing up, which will mean some changes in our household, including more financial pressures, which is another good reason to put publishing on the back burner and give more lucrative projects my attention for the next few months (or years.)

As for those of you who read Pam’s Pages from time to time, I appreciate your interest, and I do intend to keep posting on a regular basis. Due to these shifting priorites, the topics will probably venture beyond publishing with more frequency, but I am always reading books and trying to keep up with the publishing industry, so I won’t be abandoning either of those entirely. Science fiction is still one of my favorite genres in print or on the screen, so expect comments on that as well.

What you won’t read are more personal topics which might either bore or offend certain readers. One of my friends says I need to create an anonymous online persona for that, and I am quite intrigued with that idea. Just who will I become when I decide to start that more controversial, “tell all” exposé blogging experience?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At May 12, 2007, 1:31:00 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I read a blog like that. She was a writer but wanted to talk about her life, so she "created" her alternate persona. Only a few knew who she really was .. I wasn't one of them, but her life was amazing ... it read like a book.
The blog lasted for two years.
Then, her life and book(writing) demands finally took their toll on her time and she discontinued it.

It was fun while it lasted.
To this day I wonder who she really was ....
If her books relect her life experiences, she must be a Chick Lit or contemporary writer because where else could do justice to that which was her life?

The only drawback is that the ones "in the know" commented on a more personal level, always careful to keep the anonymity in force but it left us - the "others" feeling like wallflowers - there,but never truly included.

But for the purpose, it worked.

Whatever you decide,
Good luck!
M

 
At May 13, 2007, 3:49:00 AM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Hi Michele,

I'm glad you stopped by again.

Yes, the blog thing can become a chore after a while. However, there are times when I want to write a bit about a topic, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, so I try to keep the most personal items out, and anything else is fair game.

I do wish my life "read like a book." Unfortunately, my day to day life is on the boring and mundane side, so I go off into far worlds or the ridiculous for my fiction.

 

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home