Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Grand Guy is Gone

A few years ago, one of my dad's good friends called, wanting some advice about getting a book published. At the time, he was wanting to get it done quickly, because he had lymphoma and the future was uncertain.

Frank Gilbert's Chasing the Wind was the book, and not only did he get it published in a hurry, he gave it away. When we originally talked, he said he might want as many as a hundred copies. Instead, he gave away well over a thousand, and my hubby and I were among those who got an invitation to his book party. The room was filled with memorabilia and there was even film running of one of the civil war reenactments that he had participated in. Once, I was invited to speak at a local civic event, and Frank was as well. His talk, which was about the way that people dealt with WWII in our small town, was heart warming and inspiring. Just like Frank himself was.

The title link takes you to a photo and article in Living Jackson, and I am standing next to Frank in the truck.

One of my good friends let me know that Mr. Frank passed this morning. He was a wonderful man, filled with great stories and good humor.

Many people around here will miss Frank Gilbert.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Jul 4, 2009, 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Malcolm R. Campbell said...

I enjoyed "Chasing the Wind" and I enjoyed the few conversations with Frank I was privileged to have had.

Jefferson will miss him!

Malcolm

 
At Jul 5, 2009, 9:05:00 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Frank was always such a gentleman...and such a good person. His family was lucky to have him so long, and we can all learn from his graciousness in dealing with his health.

Glad you wrote about him, Pam.

 
At Jul 5, 2009, 1:10:00 PM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Thanks for your comments, y'all. Although I didn't talk with him often enough, I always enjoyed my conversations with Frank. He was a grand story-teller, and he liked people.

 

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home