Sunday, August 16, 2009

Amusing— College students can rent Trinity on Tylos


Yes, the newest thing in college textbooks is Chegg.com, and it is modeled on the wildly popular video rental service, Netflix. Basically, for a quarter or a semester, you can rent a textbook. If you like it, you can pay a bit more and keep it, but if you don't want it, just return it. This is easier than fighting for a used book in the local bookstore, and with college texts being ridiculously expensive, many students should be glad to rent rather than buy books. As a post secondary instructor, I have seen students who thought the HOPE scholarship would pay for books be sorely disappointed. And as the mom of a college student, I've plunked $500 in her account to cover a semester's worth of textbooks.

Now I see that my science fiction thriller is available at Chegg.com for $12.84, and that's a good deal. Unfortunately, I can't see any college instructor listing it as required reading. Or even as a book report option. So, why is it there? I have no idea, and I don't really know why it makes me smile, but it does. I guess I am just amused by the very thought of my book being discussed by a professor of literature.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Sep 1, 2009, 9:40:00 AM, Blogger Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Perhaps the thing to do is to get it into a high school library. Some adventurous teacher will include it in the curriculum for an English class. Then, after trusted operatives talk to people behind barns about the appropriateness of the plot, somebody will come forward and demand that the book be removed.

Then Trinity will knock Pat Conroy's new book off the NYT bestseller list.

Malcolm

 
At Sep 1, 2009, 3:18:00 PM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Yep, being banned could be a good thing. Of course, if a book is going to make prudish folks blush, The Gift Horse is more apt to do it.

 

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home