Monday, November 30, 2009

Sounds of the Season



As the Christmas season approaches, there are myriad visual cues, including a rather large display with many, many lights, across from my house, but as a former band member and choir singer, music means Christmas as well. My church used to do an annual program at Christmas called "From the Cradle to the Cross" and the choir marched in singing, Hail to the Lord's Annointed from memory. I remember a satisfying feeling of accomplishment when I finally memorized it completely. During the program, we sang standard carols, for the most part, and I do enjoy most of them. At one of those programs, my cousin was recruited to be The Little Drummer Boy and play his snare drum as we sang, and that, too is a favorite song.

Having decided to write about music of the season, I asked one of my sisters for her favorite holiday song, and she mentioned two— The Carol of the Bells, which she says makes her remember church programs in her youth, and Amy Grant's Breath of Heaven. Hubby's response was rather basic, Jingle Bells. Daughter likes Rock Around the Christmas Tree which is on a CD of Billboard's top Christmas songs that we often played when they were small. Son picked, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, but he is seldom serious, and I rather doubt that choice. Still, that is another title on that Billboard Christmas CD, and everyone I asked mentioned musical memories from childhood.

When I was in the high school band, we were only allowed to play Sleigh Ride every four years, and I only got to do so once— my sophomore year. Why we were so restricted, I am not sure, but I loved the instrumental version that we performed; therefore, my own choice of favorite seasonal song is Sleigh Ride. I didn't know the words until I was older, and I've always enjoyed the rendition with lyrics done by The Carpenters.

I hope readers of Pam's Pages have reasons to be thankful and joyful as 2009 comes to a close. If remembering songs of years past doesn't make you feel any older yet, just look at the fashions in the video.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home