Sunday, November 26, 2006

Science Fiction online for Cyber Monday

Maybe you want to give a gift to a science fiction fan; maybe you want to entice a fellow reader to try speculative fiction, or maybe you will have a few days off and want something new for your own entertainment. Whatever the reason, there are so many wonderful stories for fans of science fiction these days. Last year, I devoted one of my blog entries to new releases in science fiction, but this year I have thrown the “new” part out and simply listed some of my favorites which happen to be available via Fictionwise. Hopefully interested readers can find most of these in print as well. The Niven story was in an anthology quite a few years ago, and Asaro’s story was first published in Analog magazine. I began reading Asaro’s novels after I read “A Roll of the Dice”— a piece which is long enough to qualify as a novella and lets the reader know just how wonderful a writer she can be.

David Weber is one of the modern masters of the space opera, but I prefer his early works, so both of those named represent that period. Lois McMaster Bujold just seems to get better and better, but her Vorkosigan saga begins with Shards of Honor, my favorite of her stories, perhaps due to the underlying theme of motherhood. Another talented writer of two space opera series, plus fantasy is Elizabeth Moon; however, I deliberately chose one of her stand alone titles. Best known for a multiple book series with dragons that are more fantasy than sci fi, Anne McCaffrey sometimes writes sci fi, and Nimesha’s Ship is such a work. My own Trinity on Tylos owes quite a lot to my love of various space opera and sci fi themes, and it does include some romantic elements which make it appeal to readers of that genre as well.

Real romance lets science and logic take a back seat, but they are still present in these tales. Angela Verdenius is always a delight, and Love’s Sweet Assassin is my favorite of her novels. Beloved Enemy, by Janet Miller, is a mostly a romance, with some military and paranormal elements, and she has other works set in this same universe. Kaitlyn O’Connor is my favorite New Concepts writer, and I have read all of her titles to date. I chose Exiled to represent her work. This title is very sensual so be forewarned (or delighted)— it’s up to you, I suppose.

Here’s my list of suggestions, so get started on that shopping!

Short fiction:
• Asaro, A Roll of the Dice
• Niven, Jigsaw Man

Space Opera:
• Weber, Apocalypse Troll
• Weber, Honor of the Queen
• Moon, Remnant Population

Space Opera with romantic elements:
• Bujold, Shards of Honor
• Bujold, Barrayar
• McCaffrey, Nimesha’s Ship
• Dodd, Trinity on Tylos

Romantic sci fi, also known known as futuristic romance:
• Verdenius, Love’s Sweet Assassin
• Miller, Beloved Enemy
• O’Connor, Exiled

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Nov 27, 2006, 10:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choices.
Catherine Asaro: I remember A Roll of the Dice from the Anlog publication. I hope to see the novel version of this eventually, as at least one other story set in this universe has since appeared.
Her most recent SF novels (Sunrise Alley and Alpha) are available through Baen Books's Webscriptions.
http://www.webscription.net/ps-405-4-sunrise-alley.aspx
http://www.webscription.net/ps-10-4-alpha.aspx

David Weber: Apocalypse Troll and The Honor of the Queen are both available for free from the Baen Free Library, or the Webscriptions web site.
http://www.baen.com/library/
http://www.webscription.net/p-16-the-apocalypse-troll.aspx
http://www.webscription.net/p-211-the-honor-of-the-queen.aspx

Elizabeth Moon: I really liked Remnant Population ( read it in paper form). Her spendid "The Deed of Paksenarion" fantasy trilogy (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold) is available in its entirety for just $6.00.
http://www.webscription.net/ps-100-78-the-deed-of-paksenarrion.aspx
Her Heris Serrano SF is also available at Baen.

Lois McMaster Bujold: Shards of Honor and Barrayar are available in a combined edition for $5.00
http://www.webscription.net/ps-85-13-cordelias-honor.aspx

Anne McCaffrey: Alas, no unencrypted eBooks, so I won't buy. Otherwise I'd probably have bought all the eBooks, despite having read most of them on paper already.

Pamela J Dodd: Oh - that's you! Well, I'll have to try it out then.

 
At Nov 27, 2006, 3:38:00 PM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Hi Paul,

I read most of these books in print, and some as freebies (one of the Weber books) but I did really like all of them.

As for my book, they say write what you'd like to read, so if you liked all of those, you just might like mine!

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At Dec 10, 2006, 11:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting list. I've read quite a few and enjoyed them. I'll look for yours, too. Asimov will always be my role model/hero of scifi, but I read almost anything that will stand still long enough. =) I've been into military scifi lately, and really enjoyed that, too.

 
At Dec 11, 2006, 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

As for military sci fi, there are a number of folks who do a great job with that. I like Elizabeth Moon's Heris Serano series (not sure about the spelling on that!) as well as any, and I was particularly fond of Rules of Engagement, which was published by Baen.

The early Weber books are wonderful, and he recently wrote a prequel to Path of the Fury, which was one of my favorites. I haven't yet read that one.

Asaro's Primary Inversion has military sci fi, as well as romance, and some elements which I'd describe as techno-fantasy, but I'm not sure that's a real term. I do like her writing, and I think her eclectic background fuels her varied plots.

I'm glad you took the time to peruse my little list.

 
At Apr 8, 2007, 8:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms Dodd
Thank you for your kind review of the Dungeon Book Store. It is very much appreciated and I hope to not only keep up the quality of the site but improve as time and resources allow.

One of the ways to accomplish this is by working with individual publishers such as Whiskey Creek Press. In doing so it is their wish handle the sales of all books under their imprint listed on my site. Therefore as you stated I have listed as zero inventory available but provided a direct link to the publisher for purchase. I am also willing to make arangements with individual authors -self published, small pres or main stream- to help expose their works. Authors, publishers, and booksellers each need the other to be successful.

Peter Kadison http://www.thedungeonbookstore.net

 

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home