Saturday, June 23, 2007

Summer reading


I just finished Tigra by R. J. Leahy, which is a really entertaining yarn. The main character is Jeena Garza, a former POW who crashes on a primitive planet of Ararat as she makes her escape. There she adopts a tigra cub, a carnivore native to her new planet and a beast which is far more intelligent than she could possibly have imagined.

Leahy’s prose is easy to read, but the book is far more complex than many space operas, and his characters are engaging. The plot moves right along, too. My tastes in fiction are eclectic, but this tale has much to offer: military action, romantic relationships, mysticism, and a bit of anthropology. I highly recommend this story.

Piers Anthony gave it a brief review at his site: HiPiers, and I saw another online at My Shelf as well.

I will admit, that this book surprised me, since it was published by Zumaya, which is a really small press that I approached back in 2004 with Trinity on Tylos. The acquisitions editor suggested that I look elsewhere since their publication schedule was filled for three years. After having read this story, I do wish that Zumaya had put my novel in the lineup.

My love of eBooks continues, so I read the electronic version, but if you prefer print, Amazon offers it as a trade paperback. Again, this is a fine summer read.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Jun 25, 2007, 1:02:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth K. Burton said...

Pam,

Just a quick thank you for the lovely review and to say we're delighted you enjoyed the book. Also, Tigra, along with a fair number of our newer titles, is now in full distribution, which means people can order it from any bookseller. Sadly, there are some bricks and mortar stores that are telling them otherwise, but it isn't true.

 
At Jun 25, 2007, 4:58:00 PM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm glad you stopped by. And I'm happy to hear that you have good distribution for this and other Zumaya titles. That is a key element for author and publishing success.

The price for this book, which has about 120.000 words seems quite reasonable at $12.50 +/- at Amazon. I hope it sells many copies, for it is a worthy effort.

 

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home