Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Best of Pam’s Pages— Book Reviews

Last week’s post, an impromptu plug for a book I enjoyed quite a lot, prompted a comment from “Elizabeth” who is, I believe, the managing editor of Zumaya, which published the title Tigra, which was the subject of last week’s post. If you look back at last week’s post, in the comments, she thanked me for my review, which is too kind.

In fact, I hesitate to call my efforts here reviews, although some entries come closer than others. I have written reviews for three different internet sites, and I really enjoyed it, but I am not seeking reviewer status right now. On a SF message board which I read and sometimes post messages, one writer commented that the review is usually more of a reflection of the tastes of the reviewer than of the book, and while I like to think of myself as objective, the comment rings true. So, any comments I have made regarding books do reflect my tastes. That said, here are some links to past posts for books which I find worthy of keeper status:

•Linnea Sinclair’s Finders Keepers, a space opera with a romantic side, and the first title I read by this eBook author. My favorite is An Accidental Goddess.

Quick takes, Catherine Asaro’s Skyfall and Neal Boortz’s Fair Tax Book are books which have no relation to each other apart from when I read them.

Paranormal adventure awaits, Warprize and Tiger Eye.

•The superb Lois McMaster Bujold's debut novel, Shards of Honor.

•More short takes in romantic SF, which is one of my favorite genres.

All of these posts still point out some good reading, so do have a look at books I've enjoyed, and revisit some of my favorite posts on Pam's Pages.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Jul 3, 2007, 10:13:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

When I find an author I like, I tend to go get every book they've ever written and read through them all like some kind of devouring monster! McCaffrey, Norton, Spider Robinson, Ellison, and my all-time favorite, Asimov, have all undergone this procedure. One of the few I couldn't do that with was Heinlein. I loved the early works, couldn't go the last few. Lately, I've gone into Military SciFi and found a whole 'nother bunch of books to gobble. =)

Did you read the ones by Paolini - Eragon and Eldest? I'm waiting for the third one. Or the Dragon Jousters series by Mercedes Lackey? I like her writing.

 
At Jul 4, 2007, 5:18:00 AM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Hi Susan,

I've read some of your favorite authors, but I must admit I haven't read Paolini. My son has read Eragon, however, and he loved it. Both of my children (teenagers) enjoyed the movie version of Eragon as well.

I do like military sci fi. My introduction into it was a David Weber story, and like you, I did the "gobble him up" bit, but his works have gotten too huge for my tastes. When I make lists, I usually list his earlier works, including the first entries in his long running Honor Harrington series. I really liked Apocolypse Troll and Path of the Fury by Weber.

In that genre, I really like Elizabeth Moon. She is a former Marine, has medical training, has been in politics...I do think having rich life experiences can help writers. Anyway, I have enjoyed her new series, which begins with Trading in Danger (I think that's the first one) and I liked all of the books which were set in the Herris Serrano universe. My all time favorite of hers is Rules of Engagement.

I can't read all of Heinlein either, but I did really like Friday, and that is in his later works.

I'm so glad you stopped by, Susan. Do come again, and I'll be talking more about books.

 
At Jul 7, 2007, 5:09:00 AM, Blogger Stacia said...

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm always looking for new names. :-)

 
At Jul 7, 2007, 4:02:00 PM, Blogger Pamela J. Dodd said...

Hi December,

I'm glad you stopped by as well. I'm going to be looking for your new titles.

Best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

I've been being spammed with comments promoting other sites, so I have enabled moderation. Friendly comments are always welcome, however.

Sorry!

<< Home